Confirm favorite deletion?
Torts Keyed to Epstein
Southern California Gas Co. v. Superior Court of Los Angeles County
Citation:441 P.3d 881 (Cal. 2019)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
In the northwestern corner of LA, Porter Ranch, a residential neighborhood, houses 30,000 people. The defendant stores vast amounts of natural gas in an underground facility in the hills surrounding the neighborhood. In October 2015, a gas leak occurred from that underground facility, releasing 55 tons of natural gas every hour at its peak. Residents of Porter Ranch reported bad odors, headaches, dizziness, and respiratory problems. The Los Angles County health department directed the defendant to relocate affected residents, and about 15,000 people were relocated away from the leak. Plaintiffs allege that the defendant’s negligence caused the gas leak, devastating the local economy by depriving businesses of customers.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.