Confirm favorite deletion?
Corporations Keyed to Hazen
Palisades Growth Capital II, L.P. v. Backer
Citation:2020 WL 1503218 (Del. Ch. 2020)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Defendant, Alex Backer, is a co-founder of QLess, Inc. He was also the company’s CEO until QLess’s board of directors removed him from that position. At the time Backer was terminated as CEO, all five board seats were filled. Believing he held a 2-1 board majority, Backer seized the moment by scheming with Richardo to take control of the company in advance of the November 15 meeting. With plan in hand, Backer announced at the outset of the meeting that he held a 2-1 board majority and then demanded that Grauman and D’Addario disconnect from the call since they were not members of the board. D’Addario refused to disconnect. With Richardo’s support, Backer then fired Grauman as CEO, appointed himself to replace Grauman as CEO and fill the CEO director seat.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.