2. Separation of Powers and Congressional Powers
6. The Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment
9. Freedom of Expression
10. Freedom of Religion: Free Exercise Clause
11. Contracts Clause, Ex Post Facto, and Bill of Attainder
Confirm favorite deletion?
Cancel Yes, Delete
Contracts Clause, Ex Post Facto, Bill of Attainder
In this video, you should consider the following:
- Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional because criminal liability cannot be extended retroactively, either by creating or by increasing penalties.
- A Bill of Attainder is unconstitutional as a form of legislative punishment by declaring someone guilty without a judicial trial.
- The Contracts clause forbids retroactive impairments of contracts.
Delivered by:Professor Melissa A. Hale