2. Separation of Powers and Congressional Powers
6. The Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment
9. Freedom of Expression
10. Freedom of Religion: Free Exercise Clause
11. Contracts Clause, Ex Post Facto, and Bill of Attainder
Contracts Clause, Ex Post Facto, Bill of Attainder
In this video, you should consider the following:
- Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional because criminal liability cannot be extended retroactively, either by creating or by increasing penalties.
- A Bill of Attainder is unconstitutional as a form of legislative punishment by declaring someone guilty without a judicial trial.
- The Contracts clause forbids retroactive impairments of contracts.
Delivered by:Professor Melissa A. Hale