Confirm favorite deletion?
Corporations Keyed to Hazen
Wiswall v. The Greenville and Raleigh Plank Road Co.
Citation:56 N.C. 183 (1857)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
The plaintiffs are stockholders in the Greenville and Raleigh Plank-Road Company, which was chartered by the General Assembly and was duly organized by complying with the terms of the said Act; that the said company was incorporated for the purpose of effecting a communication by means of a plank road from within the limits of the town of Greenville in Pitt County, to the city of Raleigh. The company has been for several years in operation and has accumulated a fund of about $4000. The individuals named are the president and directors of the road and they adopted a resolution to purchase the said funds a line of stages wit the necessary appurtenances, to be run as their property upon the said road and to procure a contract from the United States Government for carrying the public mail by such stage line upon the said road. Plaintiffs contend that this would be a misapplication of the funds, which are needed for the repair of the road, or should be divided among the shareholders.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.