Confirm favorite deletion?
Criminal Law Keyed to Osler
United States v. Stanley
Citation:24 F. 1314 (11th Cir. 1994)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Timothy Murray was arrested under drug trafficking charges, and began cooperating with officers. He called one of his suppliers, Cameron, from the police station and set up a drug deal for Murray to purchase $3,600 worth of cocaine base. They met up at a gas station. Murray went up to Cameron’s car- there were two other passengers in the car, Powers and Stanley. Powers got out of the car and walked to across the street with Murray to discuss the drug deal. Cameron then drove the car with Stanley across the street towards Powers and Murray, likely to get the money from Murray. As Cameron drove around to the two others, officers moved in to make the arrest. Cameron’s car was stopped by officers ramming into it with a pickup truck. Powers was seen throwing a pistol away during the commotion. A search lead to cocaine base under the dashboard and the arrests of Cameron, Powers, and Stanley.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.