Confirm favorite deletion?
Criminal Law Keyed to Ohlin
Taylor v. State
Citation:282 Ga. 44, 644 S.E.2d 850 (2007)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Lamar Railey drove a wrecker to a tire company, where he stopped to purchase gas. After he finished fueling the wrecker, he headed for the business office to complete the purchase. Suddenly, Railey was stuck by an accelerating motor vehicle. He was thrown into the air and landed on the pavement. Another motorist witnessed the events unfold and followed the green sedan that hit Railey until police were able to pull it over. The defendant exited the vehicle and was placed under arrest.
In the meantime, Railey was taken to the hospital where he was admitted with multiple fractures and deep bruises to his leg. After a short hospital stay, he was discharged. Sixteen days after the injury, he suddenly collapsed and died shortly after. His cause of death was a pulmonary thromboembolism, which was caused by the injuries on his leg.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.