Confirm favorite deletion?
Business Associations Keyed to Bainbridge
Seinfeld v. Bartz
Citation:2002 WL 243597 (N.D.Cal. 2002)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiff is a shareholder of Defendant Cisco Systems, Inc. and brings this suit against the company and its ten shareholders. At issue is a 1999 amendment to Cisco’s Automatic Option Grant Program for outside directors. The amendment raised a number of stock options granted to outside directors upon joining the board from 20,000 shares to 30,000 shares. Plaintiff alleges that Defendants acted negligently in preparing their statement to solicit proxies to vote in favor of the amendment. The disputed proxy statement states that Cisco paid each outside director, except for Defendant Sarin, a $32,000 annual retainer fee for fiscal year 1999 and that it paid Defendant Sarin a $40,000 retainer fee to include board service.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.