Confirm favorite deletion?
Contracts Keyed to Epstein
Matec SLR v. Gramercy Holdings I, LLC
Citation:2021 WL 1226956 (March 31, 2021)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Matec sold two filter press sludge filtration machines to Noranda in 2017 for use in Noranda’s business manufacturing alumina. In July 2019, the two companies signed two additional contracts. The manufacture agreement expressly conditioned payment for the new filter presses on Matec’s performance under the agreement. Matec alleges that Noranda took a number of steps to thwart its performance under the agreement. Despite these obstacles, Matec notified Noranda that its work on the first two filter presses was complete. Noranda responded that it would make no further payments, but it continued to use the machines. Noranda sued Matec, alleging that Matec had failed to deliver filter presses or complete its contractual obligations. Matec then filed a suit, asserting claims for breach of contract and breach of implied obligation of good faith and fair dealing.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.