Confirm favorite deletion?
Secured Transactions Keyed to Lopucki
Legacy Bank v. Fab Tech Drilling Equipment, Inc.
Citation:566 S.W.3d 922 (Tex. Ct. App. 2018)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
On October 28, 2011, the debtor, Canyon Drilling Company, executed and delivered a promissory note to Legacy Bank. In exchange, Legacy extended a revolving line of credit to Canyon. They also executed a business loan agreement and a commercial security agreement grating Legacy a security interest in Canyon’s accounts receivable. The agreement was perfected. Appellees are trade creditors of Canyon. On December 13, 2012, they obtained a default judgment against Canyon for $1,661,399.45 for unpaid services appellees had provided to Canyon. Appellees filed a writ of garnishment, seeking to garnish accounts receivable owed Canyon by garnishees J. Cleo Thompson. Upon learning of appellee’s garnishment, Legacy filed a plea in intervention asserting that it held a properly perfected security interest in the garnishees’ accounts due and owing to Canyon. Despite Canyon’s initial default, Legacy continued to advance funds to Canyon. Legacy ultimately exercised its foreclosure rights against Canyon.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.