Confirm favorite deletion?
Business Organizations Keyed to Cox
Int’l Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local No. 129 Benefit Fund v. Tucci
Citation:70 N.E.3d 918 (2017)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiffs’ complaint alleged that they brought the actions on behalf of a class consisting of all other shareholders of EMC who are deprived of the opportunity to maximize the value of their shares of EMC as a result of the directors’ breach of fiduciary duty and other misconduct. The plaintiffs asserted that the members of EMC’s board violated their fiduciary duties, allegedly owed to EMC and the shareholders by failing to take steps to maximize the value of EMC stock and agreeing to unreasonably preclusive deal protection provisions, thereby hindering any potential bid that may have been superior to the sale of EMC to Dell.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.