Confirm favorite deletion?
Criminal Law Keyed to Lee
In Re John Z.
Citation:29 Cal.4th 756, 60 P.3d 183, 128 Cal.Rptr.2d 783 (2003)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Laura T. was working at Safeway when she received a call from a friend named Juan. Juan wanted Laura to take him to a party at the defendant’s home, and she agreed.
At the party, Laura and Juan went into the defendant’s parents’ room. Juan indicated that he wanted to have sex but Laura told him she was not ready for that kind of activity. Juan got upset and Laura left the bedroom. The defendant asked Laura to come into his room and talk.
Defendant told Laura that Juan did not care about her, and he suggested that Laura become his girlfriend. Juan entered the bedroom and the two boys asked Laura if it was her fantasy to have two guys. Laura said it was not. Juan and the defendant began kissing Laura and removing her clothes, although she kept telling them not to. At some point, the boys removed her clothes and began “fingering” her, “playing with her boobs,” and continued to kiss her. Laura enjoyed the activity in the beginning, but when Juan removed his pants, Laura objected. The defendant left the room and Juan got on top of her. She tried to resist and told him that she did not want to have sex, but he forced his penis into her vagina.
Juan left the rom and the defendant entered. Laura was crying on the bed and did not say anything. The defendant began kissing her and telling her she had a beautiful body. He got on top of her and put his penis into her vagina. Laura kept trying to pull away, but she testified that he kept pushing her back down and asking if she will be his girlfriend. After about ten minutes, the defendant got off and helped her get dressed.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.