Confirm favorite deletion?
Business Associations Keyed to Bainbridge
Elf Atochem North American, Inc. v. Jaffari
Citation:727 A.2d 286 (Del. Sup. Ct. 1999)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiff Elf Atochem North America, Inc. manufactures and distributes solvent-based maskants to the aerospace and aviation industries throughout the world. Defendant is the president of Malek, Inc. to avoid conflict with EPA regulations, Elf considered developing or distributing a maskant less harmful to the environment. Elf, Jaffari and Malek, Inc. entered into a series of agreements providing for the governance and operation of the joint venture. Under the arbitration clause contained in the agreement, it provides that any controversy or dispute shall be submitted to arbitration in San Francisco, California. The agreement also contained a forum selection clause, providing that all members consent to exclusive jurisdiction of the courts sitting in California in any action. Elf sued Jaffari and Malek, LLC, alleging that Jaffari breached his fiduciary duty to Malek LLC and breached the contract.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.