Confirm favorite deletion?
Contracts Keyed to Kuney
Dove v. Rose Acres Farms
Citation:434 N.E.2d 931 (1982).
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Rose Acres was a chicken farm which stocked 4,000,000 hens and produced approximately 256,000 eggs per day. Dove was employed at Rose Acres during the summer months of 1972 through 1979. Rose Acres maintained extensive bonus programs for its employees, all of which were conditioned on perfect work attendance. Any absenteeism or tardiness would cause forfeiture of the bonus.
In June 1979, Dove and other construction crew leaders were offered a $6,000 bonus if a certain construction project was completed in 12 weeks (Dove’s bonus agreement was amended to $5,000 for 10 weeks because he needed to return to law school). To received the bonus, Dove needed to work five full days a week for 10 weeks. During the tenth week, Dove became ill with strep throat and he missed the last two days of work. Rose Acres refused to pay the bonus.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.