Confirm favorite deletion?
Contracts Keyed to Kuney
Dolan v. Altice USA, Inc.
Citation:C.A. No. 2018-0651-JRS, 2019 WL 2711280 (2019).
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
The Dolan family founded Cablevision and News12. In 2015, Altice and the Dolans began discussing Altice’s possible acquisition of Cablevision. The Dolan family initially did not include News12 in the transaction, but relented after negotiations and assurances that the news channel would be operated in a substantially similar manner. Included in the Merger Agreement was Section 6.4(f) which stated that News12 would continue to operate in accordance with the stations existing business plan until at least the end of 2020 including employing a certain number of employees during that time. The Merger Agreement also disclaimed the existence of any third party beneficiaries in Section 9.8.
In the spring of 2017, the Merger closed and Altice terminated 70 News12 employees. Altice planned to lay off 10% of News12 employees each year. McVey and Campbell were among the employees set to lose their jobs.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.