SmartBrief enables case brief popups that define Key Terms, Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises used in this case.
Confirm favorite deletion?
Cancel Yes, Delete
Civil Procedure Keyed to Babcock
View this case in different Casebooks
Civil Procedure Keyed to CoundCivil Procedure Keyed to FriedenthalCivil Procedure Keyed to MarcusCivil Procedure Keyed to SubrinCivil Procedure Keyed to YeazellCivil Procedure Keyed to YeazellBurnham v. Superior CourtConflicts Keyed to CurrieCivil Procedure Keyed to GlannonCivil Procedure Keyed to HazardCivil Procedure Keyed to MuellerCivil Procedure Keyed to SpencerCivil Procedure Keyed to RoweCivil Procedure Keyed to Erichson
Burnham v. Superior Court
Citation:495 U.S. 604 (1990)
CaseCast™ – "What you need to know"
Burnham v. Superior Court of California
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Dennis and Francie Burnham got married in West Virginia in 1976 and moved to New Jersey a year later. A few years later Francie Burnham moved with the couple’s kids to California. Francie then commences divorce proceedings in a California state court and waits until Plaintiff Dennis visits California to see their kids and to conduct business to serve him with process.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.
18m 35sSee complete Lesson, Quizzes and More