Confirm favorite deletion?
Criminal Procedure Keyed to Allen
Brigham City v. Stuart
Citation:547 U.S. 398 (2006)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
At three in the morning four police officers in Brigham City, Utah responded to a call concerning a loud party at a home. When they arrived at the house, they heard shouting coming from inside and went down the driveway to investigate. They saw two juveniles drinking beer in the backyard and through the screen door and some windows, a quarrel happening in the kitchen. One of the officers testified that he saw four adults, the Respondents, trying, with difficulty, to restrain a juvenile. The officer said he then saw the juvenile break free, swing his fist, and strike one of the adults in the face. The victim then spit blood into the sink. The officer testified that the other Respondents continued to try and control the juvenile and slammed him against the refrigerator. At this time, an officer opened the screen door and announced his presence although no one noticed because of the commotion. The officer went in the kitchen, yelling at the occupants to make his presence known. As they became aware, the altercation ceased. The officers arrested the Respondents charging them with intoxication, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and disorderly conduct.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.