Confirm favorite deletion?
Business Organizations Keyed to Macey
Baatz v. Arrow Bar
Citation:452 N.W.2d 138 (1990)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Kenny and Peggy Baatz appeal from a summary judgment dismissing Edmond, LaVella, and Jacquette Neuroth, as individual defendants. Kenny and Peggy were seriously injured in 1982 when Roland McBride crossed the center line of a Sioux Falls street with his automobile and struck them. Baatz alleges that Arrow Bar served alcoholic beverages to McBride prior to the accident while he was intoxicated. Baatz commenced this action, claiming that Arrow Bar’s negligence in serving alcoholic beverages to McBride contributed to the injuries. Edmond and LaVella Neuroth formed the Arrow Bar, Inc in 1980. They contributed $50,000 to the corporation. The corporation purchased the Arrow Bar business for $155,000. Edmond is the president of the corporation and Jacquette Neuroth serves as the manager of the business.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.