Torts keyed to Best
Black v. Abex Corp
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Rochelle Black (Plaintiff) filed suit against Abex Corporation as well as 47 others (Defendants) for wrongful death after her husband, Markus, was exposed to asbestos-containing products. Plaintiff claimed that Markus’s exposure to the asbestos-containing products, during the 15 years he worked as an auto mechanic in the Air Force, caused his death from lung cancer. Plaintiff claimed that Defendants should be held liable under market share liability as well as other liability theories. After the trial court dismissed Plaintiff’s complaint for failing to assert a genuine issue of material fact, Plaintiff appealed.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.