Property Law Keyed to Cribbet
The Symphony Space, Inc. v. Pergola Properties, Inc
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
The Plaintiff, a non profit entity devoted to the arts engaged in a transaction with Broadwest, predecessors in ownership to the Defendant, Pergola Properties, Inc. (Defendant) when Plaintiff purchased a building for a low price and gave Broadwest an option to repurchase the building at a later time. The option contract is in dispute as it gave Broadwest the option to purchase the property at a future date. When the Defendant, who had purchased the option contract from Broadwest, attempted to exercise its right to buy, the Plaintiff initiated this declaratory judgment action against Defendant, arguing that the option agreement violated the state’s Rule against Perpetuities. The trial court concluded that the rule against perpetuities applied to the commercial option contained in the parties agreement and that the option violated the rule.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.