Confirm favorite deletion?
Property Keyed to French
City of Palm Springs v. Living Desert Reserve
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
An executed will conveyed 30 acres of land to the City of Palm Springs (Plaintiff) on the express condition that the land will always be used as a public park. The deed conveyed, stipulated that if at any moment the land is no longer used as a park then the land would transfer to the Living Desert Reserve (Defendant). Nearly three years later, the Plaintiff made the determination that they would prefer the land to be used as a golf course and attempted to buy the Defendant’s reversionary interest but to no avail. The Plaintiff’s then brought an action in eminent domain and requested immediate possession. The trial court ruled in favor of the plaintiff. A couple of months later, the Defendant’s claim the Plaintiff’s breached the condition on the property that it was to be utilized as a public park only. Trial court ruled against the Defendant and Defendant appeals.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.