Health Law Keyed to Furrow
Sokol v. Akron General Medical Center
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Sokol (Plaintiff) was a cardiac surgeon at Akron General Hospital (Defendant). When informed that Sokol's (Plaintiff) patients had a very high mortality rate, Defendant gave him notice that his privileges were being restricted. The Hearing Committee recommended that Plaintiff's privileges be restored. The Medical Council rejected this recommendation and reaffirmed its original decision. Plaintiff then sought injunctive relief from the district court. The magistrate judge found that the Medical Council's decision to take action against Plaintiff based on his mortality rate was arbitrary. The Plaintiff claimed on appeal that the adverse decision was arbitrary, capricious, and unreasonable.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.