Confirm favorite deletion?
Criminal Law Keyed to Dressler
Topolewski v. State
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Dolan was indebted to the Defendant in the amount of $100.00. In order to reduce the debt that was owed, the two men agreed to a plan in which Dolan, through his employment at the Plankinton Packing Company, would assist the Defendant in obtaining meat products from the company. Dolan disclosed the plan to the company and, as a result, the company allowed Dolan to continue with the plan in order to entrap the Defendant in the act of receiving stolen meats. Dolan, through the assistance of Layer, allowed barrels of meat to be placed on the company’s loading platform. The Defendant appeared at the plant and placed three barrels of meat in his wagon, telling the platform boss that he ordered the meat through Dolan. The Defendant was later apprehended and charged with larceny.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.