Confirm favorite deletion?
Corporations Keyed to Klein
Bayer v. Beran
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Defendants are the directors of Celanese Corporation of America. Celanese is a product that is similar to rayon, but the corporation makes the effort to distinguish the two in order to generate a market for their products. When the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) ruled that celanese would need to be designated as rayon, there was a need to expend more resources to make the distinction between celanese and competing products. The former advertising budget was $683,000 per year, but the president (who is also a director), Dr. Camille Dreyfus, suggested a $1 million radio campaign built around a radio musical program. One of the stars of the program is also his wife. The Board approved the campaign, and it has subsequently been renewed. The Board also continues to approve an employment agreement for Dr. Camille Dreyfus’ brother, Dr. Henri Dreyfus, who was a co-founder with his brother of the technology behind the company’s products. Henri does not participate in the company as actively as Camille, but the agreement prevents him from working elsewhere.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.