Corporations Keyed to Hamilton
Abreu v. Unica Industrial Sales, Inc., La Preferida, Inc., Ralph Steinbarth, William Steinbarth, and Ebro Foods, Inc.,
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiff is the president and 50% shareholder of Ebro Foods. Defendant Directors are the only directors of Defendant La Preferida, Inc., the other 50% shareholder in Ebro Foods and a company that distributes Ebro Food’s products. Plaintiff brings a derivative suit against Defendant Directors for breaching their fiduciary obligations to Ebro Foods. Plaintiff alleges that Defendant Directors attempted to procure trade secrets so that products utilizing them could be produced without going through Ebro Foods. The trial court held that Defendant Directors engaged in self dealing transactions and usurped the corporate opportunity. It awarded Plaintiff injunctive and monetary relief, attorney fees, and appointed Silvio Vega, plaintiff’s son-in-law, as a provisional director to oversee the new board of directors and break any director deadlock. Defendants appeal.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.