Contracts Keyed to Farnsworth
Laredo Hides Co., Inc. v. H & H Meat Products Co., Inc
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiff entered into a contract with Defendant to buy its entire cattle hide production during a specified period. A check for $9,000 was sent by Plaintiff but was delayed in the mail. Before it arrived, Defendant gave Plaintiff an ultimatum demanding payment within a few hours. When Plaintiff failed to meet the demand, Defendant notified Plaintiff that it considered this a breach justifying cancellation of the contract. The Court of Civil Appeals of Texas held, however, that Defendant’s actions were a breach by repudiation of the contract. In order to meet its requirements for hides, Plaintiff had to purchase them on the open market. The market price for hides had risen so sharply that Plaintiff incurred costs above the contract price of $142,254.48 plus incidentals of $3,448.95.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.