Contracts Keyed to Farnsworth
Dickey v. Philadelphia Minit-Man Corp
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Plaintiff leased a vacant piece of land to Defendant. Defendant agreed to erect all buildings on the land and place all equipment on the premises for the purpose of conducting the business of washing and cleaning automobiles. The lease specified that the premises were to be used for this purpose and no other. Plaintiff reserved the right to reenter the premises for violation of this covenant. The lease further dictated that rent was to equal 12.5% of the annual gross sales of Defendant’s business, but the minimum must be $1,800 per year. Defendant eventually discontinued the business of washing and cleaning automobiles but did not use the premises for any other purpose. Nevertheless, Plaintiff sued in ejectment, averring that Defendant breached the terms of the lease.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.