Confirm favorite deletion?
Contracts Keyed to Calamari
Gottlieb v. Tropicana Hotel and Casino
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
The Plaintiff, Ms. Gottlieb ("Ms. Gottlieb"), was a member of the Defendant, Tropicana casino's (the "Defendant") Diamond Club. This membership was evidenced by a card, which could be swiped at various places in the casino. On July 24, 1999, the Plaintiff while in the casino, played the Fun House Million Dollar Wheel Promotion ("Million Dollar Wheel"). As a Diamond Club member, the Plaintiff was entitled to one free spin of the Million Dollar Wheel. The Tropicana advertised this free spin in many mediums although there is no evidence the Plaintiff ever saw any of the advertising material. The Plaintiff alleges that the operator of the Million Dollar Wheel swiped her card and then she pressed a button to activate the wheel. The Plaintiff then alleges that the Million Dollar Wheel landed on the $1 million grand prize. However, the Plaintiff further alleges the operator of the Million Dollar Wheel immediately swiped another card and reactivated the wheel landing on a lesser prize, two show tickets. The Defendant alleges the wheel initially landed on the lesser prize.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.