Confirm favorite deletion?
Civil Procedure Keyed to Marcus
Cash Energy, Inc. v. Weiner
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
Cash Energy, Inc. (Plaintiff) filed a complaint against Weiner (Defendant) to recover cleanup costs under CERCLA. The compliant alleged that Weiner contaminated property in North Andover, Massachusetts, owned and operated by Plaintiffs. Defendant corporations engaged in the storage and transfer of chemical solvents on a site adjacent to Plaintiff’s property. Plaintiff also sued four individuals who were officers of the defendant corporations alleging that these individuals participated in and exercised control over the activities of defendant corporations. Since corporate officers are not personally liable for the activities of their corporate employers, the judge concluded that the Plaintiff must show that each of the individuals actively participated in the tortious activities.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.