Confirm favorite deletion?
Business Organizations Keyed to Cox
Dieckman v. Regency GP LP
Citation:155 A.3d 358 (2017)
Only StudyBuddy Pro offers the complete Case Brief Anatomy*
Access the most important case brief elements for optimal case understanding.
*Case Brief Anatomy includes: Brief Prologue, Complete Case Brief, Brief Epilogue
- The Brief Prologue provides necessary case brief introductory information and includes:
- Topic: Identifies the topic of law and where this case fits within your course outline.
- Parties: Identifies the cast of characters involved in the case.
- Procedural Posture & History: Shares the case history with how lower courts have ruled on the matter.
- Case Key Terms, Acts, Doctrines, etc.: A case specific Legal Term Dictionary.
- Case Doctrines, Acts, Statutes, Amendments and Treatises: Identifies and Defines Legal Authority used in this case.
- The Case Brief is the complete case summarized and authored in the traditional Law School I.R.A.C. format. The Pro case brief includes:
- Brief Facts: A Synopsis of the Facts of the case.
- Rule of Law: Identifies the Legal Principle the Court used in deciding the case.
- Facts: What are the factual circumstances that gave rise to the civil or criminal case? What is the relationship of the Parties that are involved in the case. Review the Facts of this case here:
The plaintiff is a limited partner/unitholder in the publicly-traded master limited partnership. The general partner proposed that the partnership be acquired through merger with another limited partnership in the MLP family. Because conflicts of interest often arise in MLP transaction, the general partner sought refuse in two of the safe harbor conflict resolution provisions of the partnership agreement. Special Approval means that a Conflicts Committee composed of members independent of the sponsor reviewed the transaction and made recommendation to the partnership board. Unaffiliated Unitholder Approval requires a majority of unitholders unaffiliated with the general partner approve the transaction. Plaintiff alleged that the general partner failed to satisfy the Special Approval and the Unaffiliated Unitholder Approval safe harbors.
- Issue(s): Lists the Questions of Law that are raised by the Facts of the case.
- Holding: Shares the Court's answer to the legal questions raised in the issue.
- Concurring / Dissenting Opinions: Includes valuable concurring or dissenting opinions and their key points.
- Reasoning and Analysis: Identifies the chain of argument(s) which led the judges to rule as they did.
- The Brief Prologue closes the case brief with important forward-looking discussion and includes:
- Policy: Identifies the Policy if any that has been established by the case.
- Court Direction: Shares where the Court went from here for this case.